Are you 417 material?
Our standards are high. We work with the best people to produce the best work. Our award-winning publications, events and digital platforms demand drive, creativity, skill, collaboration and a passion to improve lives in 417-land. Think you have what it takes to join the team? Bring it.
Job title: Staff Writer
Description: Write content for the 417 family of publications, custom publications and online.
- Write bright, well-structured and error-free stories that follow the seven C's of magazine writing and fit the parameters of the story assignment and the voice of the magazine.
- Build rapport with community members and research, pitch and produce original content within your beat. Write corresponding e-newsletters.
Thorough, in-depth reporting.
- Participate in and contribute to editorial team meetings, brainstorm meetings (including brainstorming media that enhances print articles online) and art meetings.
- Issue planning and editing opportunities available depending upon skill set
Education Requirements and Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s in Journalism, or equivalent experience and education
Skills and Strengths:
- Passion for interviewing, reporting and creating content
- Strong writing and editing ability
- Bright, conversational writing style
- Good judgement of content that would appeal to the 417 audience
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Creative thinking, ability to offer input in meetings and confidence to share ideas
- Collaborative and organizational skills
- Intrinsic motivation to work independently yet still be a team player
- Comfort with following direction and receiving feedback as required
- Management of a workload with multiple projects and competing deadlines
- Oh—–and last but not least, a passion for excellence
Bonus for the Overachievers (we love you, by the way):
- Experience planning content for publication and/or editing other writers
Benefits and #417culture:
- Comprehensive health benefits for employees, disability insurance, SIMPLE IRA match, profit-sharing plan, professional development, flexible work environment, holidays and personal days
- Key culture competencies include being a self-motivated, resourceful problem-solver with a “we’re all in this together” attitude who is also willing to pitch in and answer the phone. Team member must be dependable and efficient in his or her work and must have an innovative mindset.
- Did we mention we have fun and wellness committees?
- We promote from within, so there are opportunities for growth and advancement
Evaluations and Outcomes:
- The position will be evaluated after 90 days with quarterly reviews.
- Near Future: After gaining experience with each publication’s voice and style guide, employee will be expected to take on larger reporting and writing projects, including features.
- Future: Once employee has mastered writing a variety of story types for our publications, he or she will be able to work on writing cover story packages and can begin publication planning and editing tasks.
- Mainly sedentary in an office environment, except when out interviewing and reporting
- May be required to lift up to thirty (30) pounds during occasional photo shoots
- Flexible in working extended hours
Get to know #417culture and the work we do here.
We’re 417, a life-improvement company in Springfield, Missouri, serving more than 125,000 monthly readers across our titles of 417 Magazine, Biz 417, 417 Home and 417 Bride. We have robust digital properties to support each title, produce award-winning publications and have a custom publishing division, a ticketing platform and an event-planning division. While we're at it, we host parties and events for movers, shakers and everyone in between.
We’ve been doing this gig for 20 years, but there’s even more to come—we promise. Want to be part of it? Email cover letter, resume and writing samples to VP of Operations Megan Johnson at WorkFor417@417mag.com.