Seven Good Things
These seven dishes or drinks have passed our taste buds this month and made us rave. They are ranked by level of yumminess.
DISCLAIMER: The information in this article was fact checked and accurate at press time, but 417 Magazine cannot guarantee its accuracy indefinitely.
The Lobster Crunch roll from Izumi Hatake Sushi Grill takes crunch to a new level with shredded potatoes on top.
1. Izumi Hatake Sushi Grill (302 E. Walnut St., Springfield, 417-865-0366) has been serving a variety of top-notch sushi and other Japanese fare for years, and its massive Lobster Crunch roll is one staffer’s constant craving. The roll is packed with crab meat and tempura shrimp and topped with crunchy shredded potatoes, but the deep-fried lobster bites make this creation so addictive.
2. Drizzled with crème anglaise, surrounded by colorful berries, dusted with powdered sugar and garnished with mint, the signature Missouri Butter Cake from Level 2 Steakhouse (200 E. Main St., Branson, 417-243-3433, level2steakhouse.com) is too pretty to eat—almost. The gooey, moist cake also comes with rich vanilla bean ice cream and freshly made whipped cream.
3. For a taste of jolly old England, one staffer can’t get enough of the Fish–N–Chips from The Black Horse Pub (24 Downing St., Hollister, 417-544-9056, oldenglishinnbnb.com). Fresh pieces of Atlantic cod are coated in house-made beer batter and served with crispy, thrice-fried chips and smashed peas, an authentic Anglo side.
4. Striking a nice balance of heat and creaminess, the buffalo chicken dip at Big Whiskey’s American Restaurant & Bar (multiple locations, bigwhiskeys.com) is a just-right appetizer for fall and football watching. Made with shredded chicken, plenty of cream cheese, pepper jack and spicy buffalo sauce, this delicious, habit-forming dip is good to the last chip.
5. Simply prepared and scrumptious, the fish tacos from El Avocado (502 N. 3rd St., Ozark, 417-485-3434) are a real standout at this popular spot. Served in warm corn tortillas, the tacos come with flaky, perfectly fried tilapia, topped with nothing more than cabbage, pico de gallo, shredded cheese and a little house-made tartar sauce for some zing.
6. There’s no shortage of inventive craft cocktails at Missouri Spirits (507 W. Walnut St., Springfield, 417-501-4674, missourispirits.com), but we keep coming back to the ever-popular Bill’s Bullets. This tasty tipple has Missouri Spirits’ Bourbon, red apple and tobacco shrub, freshly squeezed lemon juice and smoked ice, a unique touch adding subtle smoky flavor as it melts.
7. Everyone has their go-to biscuits and gravy, but one of our staffers has declared a 417-land favorite: the Biscuits & Gravy platter from Tubby’s Diner (2204 W. College St., Springfield, 417-501-9633, tubbysdiner.com). Fluffy, fresh-baked buttermilk biscuits and flavorful white peppered gravy with house-made sausage make it reign supreme.Edit ModuleShow Tags