Dining Day Trips
DISCLAIMER: The information in this article was fact checked and accurate at press time, but 417 Magazine cannot guarantee its accuracy indefinitely.
(page 9 of 10)
Located just south of the town square, That Crazy Redhead’s Bakery & Cafe in Mount Vernon is a great spot to grab lunch or a sweet treat.
5 Must-Try Dishes by a Crazy Redhead
Travel 40 minutes west of Springfield to Mount Vernon and stop at That Crazy Redhead’s Bakery & Café (218 S. Hickory St., Mount Vernon, 417-316-9068). This corner café offers some delicious eats. Owners Ted and Heather Scharbach opened as a bakery and expanded to include a full day’s menu. These five dishes are must-tries for sure. By Rose Marthis
1. Start your day with a star-shaped Danish filled with cream cheese and seasonal fruit. The breads, sweets and other treats are all baked fresh daily here!
2. If you’re popping in for lunch, keep an eye out for the specials. We suggest you try the buffalo chicken salad sliders with mango pineapple salsa and tortilla chips on the side.
3. When your stomach growls for a heaping lunch, grab the beef and blue wrap made with angus steak, gorgonzola cheese, lettuce, onion and tomato on an herb tortilla. It satisfies without overfilling you with carbs.
4. On a cool day, warm up with a bowl of homemade soup. One of Heather’s specialties is the mulligatawny soup. For an extra treat, pair it with a seasonal salad and homemade bread for dipping.
5. Finish the whole thing off by giving in to your sweet tooth craving. All of the desserts are rich and to-die-for. The bakery case always houses something new, but keep an eye out for rum pecan pie chocolate cupcakes.
While you’re there: After getting your fill at That Crazy Redhead’s Bakery & Cafe, walk right down the street to Williams Creek Winery (310 S. Hickory St., Mount Vernon, 417-466-4076). Enjoy samples of wines made with Missouri-grown grapes, and take home a bottle or two for your next dinner party. Try the spiced apple wine; it’s perfect for the holidays.
On your way to…St. Louis
Stop at…A Slice of Pie (601 Kings Highway, Rolla)
And order…Tahitian cream pie, with tropical flair
On your way to…The Buffalo River
Stop at…Ferguson’s Country Store Restaurant and Gift Shop (121 Ar-333, St. Joe, Arkansas)
And order the…Fresh homemade cinnamon rolls
On your way to…Lake Taneycomo
Stop at…Pizza by the Chef (Southtown Center, 180 Mall Rd., Hollister)
And order the…Chef’s Supreme with 12 delicious toppings
On your way to…Table Rock Lake
Stop at…Pop's Dari Dell (22527 Main St., Reeds Spring)
And order the…Towering Flavor Burst soft-serve ice cream cone that’s as tall as your head
On your way to…Kansas City
Stop at…On the Moo-ve Burger Barn (4090 NE Hwy 13, Osceola)
And order the…Barn Buster with French fries
On your way to…Dallas
Stop at…Twin Bridges Restaurant (100 Jackpot Pl, Wyandotte, Oklahoma)
And order the…Smoked prime rib with a Mary Rose, a cranberry-and-ginger infused vodka with a hint of vanilla
On your way to…Memphis
Stop at…Ron's Catfish Buffet (3213 Dan Ave., Jonesboro, Arkansas)
And order the…Catfish of course!
Edit ModuleShow Tags