Are you a self-motivated, resourceful problem-solver with a “we’re all in this together” attitude? Are you passionate about connecting 417-landers to what’s best and what’s next in our community, helping them to fully enjoy their life in 417-land? Are you looking for opportunities for growth and advancement based on your individual strengths?
417 is looking for a seasoned designer with a skill for managing projects and coaching a team to be their best. If this sounds like you, and you’re ready for the next step in your career, apply today!
The Art Director manages the creative department’s day to day workflow. Ensures images, typography and design for all 417 and client products are on brand, creative, high-quality and easy for the audience to digest with high visual impact, all under the direction of the Creative Director. Provides art direction and constructive feedback to the creative team on concepts, design and photography and oversee execution of print and digital products.
• Provide art direction to the creative department under guidance of creative director.
• Manage day to day workflow of advertising designers and handle administrative production tasks.
• Lead the initiative to maximize the CRM system to the fullest of its abilities for internal efficiency by always adapting to new technology as it becomes available. Examples include, but are not limited to, implementing the flatplan and maximizing workflows.
• Serve as the lead organizer and coordinator with sources for editorial, advertising, and custom publishing photoshoots.
• Coordinate the collection of all necessary art assets for each issue cycle in collaboration with the editorial art team. •
• Spearhead proof and upload processes for our printed publications.
• Drive the execution of print to digital content.
• Manage timelines for cross departmental projects.
• Hire, train and manage interns.
• Ensure effective and updated processes are documented and organized.
• Assist Creative Director with other duties as needed.
Education Requirements and Work Experience:
• Minimum 3-5 years of experience.
Skills and Strengths:
• Excellent editorial design skills, visual creativity, strong understanding of typography
• Expert in Adobe Creative Suite design software
• Relationship driven with strong communication skills. Solid working relationship with (and respect for) sources and internal teams.
• Quickly build and maintain rapport with photoshoot subjects.
• Ability to represent themselves and the company through the mission and core values of 417 through any interactions inside or outside of the office and online with co-workers and the public.
• Creative thinker who has the ability to offer input in meetings and confidence to share ideas.
• Passion for editorial design, photography, publishing and audience experience
• Intrinsically motivated to work independently yet still be a team player
• Comfortable with following direction and receiving feedback as required
• Comfortable managing a workload of multiple projects and competing deadlines
• Oh—and last but not least, have a passion for excellence.
Benefits and #417culture:
• Comprehensive health benefits for employees, disability insurance, SIMPLE IRA match, profit-sharing plan, professional development, flexible work environment, holidays and personal days
• Through our commitment to being Great Game of Business practitioners, we take ownership of our work, mistakes, actions and wins. We understand we have a stake in the company's—and our own—future.
• Key culture competencies include being a self-motivated, resourceful problem-solver with a “we’re all in this together” attitude who is also willing to pitch in and answer the phone.
• Team member must be dependable and efficient in his or her work and must have an innovative mindset.
• Did we mention we have a fun committee?
• We promote from within, so there are opportunities for growth and advancement.
Evaluations and Outcomes:
• The position will be evaluated after 90 days with reviews every 120 days.
• Mainly sedentary in an office environment, except when out of office on photoshoots or events
• Valid drivers license and reliable transportation required
• May be required to lift up to thirty (30) pounds during occasional photo shoots
• Flexible in working extended hours.
THINK YOU'RE 417 MATERIAL?
If you're ready to take the next step, apply today!
We’re 417, a life-enrichment company in Springfield, Missouri, serving more than 325,362 audience members monthly across our titles of 417 Magazine, Biz 417, 417 Home and 417 Bride. In addition, we have robust digital properties to support each title, produce award-winning publications and have a custom publishing division, a ticketing platform and an event-planning division. While we're at it, we host parties and events for movers, shakers and everyone in between.
We’ve been doing this gig for 25 years, but there’s even more to come—we promise. Want to be part of it? Submit cover letter, writing samples and resume to WorkFor417@417mag.com.
417 provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicants. Employment decisions shall be based on merit, qualifications and competence. Employment practices shall not be influenced or unlawfully affected by virtue of an applicant's or employee's race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, medical status, pregnancy, marital status, military including veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, or any other class protected by law. This policy governs all aspects of recruitment, employment, training, promotion, transfer, demotion, compensation, assignment, termination, and other terms and conditions of employment.