1. Immerse yourself in the local business community and business networking events to scout stories and sources and build rapport.
2. Research and create cover story package plans for Biz 417 (including multimedia elements and online presentation ideas) and lead feature brainstorms.
3. Complete and finalize a lineup of content for each issue of Biz 417 and execute completion of the content while maintaining the voice of Biz 417.
4. Research and produce, assign or write original print and digital content for Biz 417. Secure in-house or freelance writers as needed, keeping to Biz 417’s freelance budget
5. Read copy and work with writers on revisions.
6. Work with Engagement Editor to update social media related to Biz 417.
7. Produce original online content for biz417.com and write and produce all e-newsletters under the Biz 417 umbrella.
8. Coordinate with the Art Department on art plans for all stories and features.
9. Execute Biz 417 contests in conjunction with the marketing and art department according to contest guidelines and timelines.
10. Lead production editing (page approval) and last looks for Biz 417. Support production editing for other 417 publications.
11. Participate in and contribute to editorial team meetings, brainstorm meetings (including brainstorming media that enhances print articles online) and art meetings. Eventually, pitch stories for 417 Magazine during monthly pitch sessions.
12. Be touch point for Biz 417 advisory board and plan, execute and lead the advisory board meeting.
Education Requirements and Work Experience:
• Bachelor’s in Journalism, or equivalent experience and education
• 5 + years work experience (fantastic internship experience counts)
Skills and Strengths:
• Passion for interviewing, reporting and creating content
• Strong writing and editing ability
• Bright, conversational writing style
• Familiarity with AP Stylebook and ability to learn and abide by house style guides
• Knowledge of digital publishing, SEO optimization and working in a CMS is a plus
• Good judgment of content that would appeal to the 417 audience
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
• Creative thinking, ability to offer input in meetings and confidence to share ideas
• Collaborative and organizational skills
• Intrinsic motivation to work independently yet still be a team player
• Comfort with following direction and receiving feedback as required
• Management of a workload with multiple projects and competing deadlines
• Oh—and last but not least, a passion for excellence.
Benefits and #417culture:
• Comprehensive health benefits for employees, disability insurance, SIMPLE IRA match, profit-sharing plan, professional development, flexible work environment, holidays and personal days
• Through our commitment to being Great Game of Business practitioners, we take ownership of our work, mistakes, actions and wins. We understand we have a stake in the company's—and our own—future.
• Key culture competencies include being a self-motivated, resourceful problem-solver with a “we’re all in this together” attitude who is also willing to pitch in and answer the phone. Team member must be dependable and efficient in his or her work and must have an innovative mindset.
• Did we mention we have fun and wellness committees?
• We promote from within, so there are opportunities for growth and advancement.
Evaluations and Outcomes:
• The position will be evaluated after 90 days with reviews every 120 days.
• Mainly sedentary in an office environment, except when out interviewing and reporting
• May be required to lift up to thirty (30) pounds during occasional photo shoots
• Valid drivers license and reliable transportation required
• Flexible in working extended hours.
Get to know #417culture and the work we do here.
We’re 417, a life-enrichment company in Springfield, Missouri, serving more than 325,362 audience members monthly across our titles of 417 Magazine, Biz 417, 417 Home and 417 Bride. In addition, we have robust digital properties to support each title, produce award-winning publications and have a custom publishing division, a ticketing platform and an event-planning division. While we're at it, we host parties and events for movers, shakers and everyone in between.
We’ve been doing this gig for 20 years, but there’s even more to come—we promise. Want to be part of it? Submit cover letter and resume to WorkFor417@417mag.com.
417 provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicants. Employment decisions shall be based on merit, qualifications and competence. Employment practices shall not be influenced or unlawfully affected by virtue of an applicant's or employee's race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, medical status, pregnancy, marital status, military including veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, or any other class protected by law. This policy governs all aspects of recruitment, employment, training, promotion, transfer, demotion, compensation, assignment, termination, and other terms and conditions of employment.