The Marketing Director collaborates with all teams to evaluate and execute opportunities for market growth in all segments throughout the company. They strategically lead their department in all promotional and revenue initiatives that grow 417 audience acquisition and engagement.
Primary Functions of the Position—Key Responsibilities & Duties:
Audience Acquisition, Retention and Growth
- Responsible for paid and non-paid circulation acquisition, retention, growth and re-engagement strategies for both the print and digital audiences. Liaison to Audience Development consultants to develop and deploy strategies.
- Complete oversight of the internal consumer audience database(s). This includes working with any out-of-house consultants, fulfillment agencies and/or internal databases.
- Primary internal resource for the Circulation Verification Council (CVC) audit and insights on the audience’s behaviors and demographics.
- Development and oversight of social media strategies (paid and organic) across all titles and the 417 brand as a whole. Manage paid social promotions and advertising for events, promotions, contests and editorial content to capture the most ROI from any social spend. Share current and archived content in a clever, timely way.
- Establish and monitor digital voice. Ensure digital content is cohesive and reflects each publication’s editorial vision.
- Use audience user habits and analytics to drive strategy and oversee initiatives to maximize audience engagement and revenue
- Assume responsibly for success of events, contests, promotions and external PR efforts/events.
- Oversee brand identity and usage. Work with brand designer on creating collateral for all events, contests and promotions.
Digital Revenue Generation and Engagement
- Work with sales team to ideate digital monetization opportunities to drive digital revenue including native content ideating and fulfillment.
- Assume responsibly for engagement success of digital revenue opportunities.
Serve on the leadership team at 417 and develop, motivate and inspire their team toward excellence and success within the 417 Mission and Core Values.
Primary Functions of the Department Head Role—Key Responsibilities & Duties:
- Assume overall responsibility for developing and managing the annual audience development budgets and project timelines for the organization.
- Collaborate with department directors in planning and implementing the company's strategic plan.
- Serve as the point person for the audience development department and represent the audience development team in cross-departmental meetings.
- Represent 417 at relevant trade shows & signature events.
- Serve as the leader of the audience development department through weekly meetings, conducting quarterly check-ins with all team members and with ongoing coaching, mentoring and support.
- Build a department of audience, digital and event experts.
Education Requirements and Work Experience:
- 5+ years of marketing, content creation and social media experience
Skills and Strengths:
Audience development professionals are expected to be both strategic and tactical and able to work with both their right and left brains. This requires creativity in the creation of programs and acquisition tactics but also the ability to analyze and understand data to determine their success.
- Strategic with long term and holistic thinking about acquisition, retention and engagement tactics and expected results.
- Data driven with the ability to analyze, and most importantly, understand data. Data must be used to tell a story, fuel strategic thinking and optimize tactics.
- Have an understanding of HTML, website development, CMS systems, online advertising, ecommerce, retargeting, paywall functionality, etc. and above average knowledge of direct marketing, database development, marketing automation, social media strategies and email marketing.
- Prior experience with HubSpot and/or any ESP is ideal.
- Relationship driven with strong communication skills. Solid working relationship with (and the respect of) the sales, marketing, ad design and editorial teams. Ability to offer input in meetings and confidence to share ideas.
- Revenue and results driven to understand the importance of tracking all efforts to results, metrics and ultimately, revenue.
- Proactive and not reactive. Must think proactively at all times about acquisition and retention, literally scouring the organization for opportunities to acquire new readers, drive loyalty and fuel engagement.
- Passion for growth, technology, publishing, events and audience experience.
- Ability to stay ahead of trends, adapt and be among the first to report on changes in the industry and technology that will ultimately affect the organization.
- Socially fluent voice
- Organizational skills and detail-oriented
- Management of a workload with multiple projects and competing deadlines
- Unparalleled customer service
- Creative thinking, critical thinking, negotiation, decision making and problem solving skills
- Oh—and last but not least, a passion for excellence
Benefits and #417culture:
- Comprehensive health benefits for employees, disability insurance, SIMPLE IRA match, profit-sharing plan, professional development, flexible work environment, holidays and personal days
- Through our commitment to being Great Game of Business practitioners, we take ownership of our work, mistakes, actions and wins. We understand we have a stake in the company's—and our own—future.
- Key culture competencies include being a self-motivated, resourceful problem-solver with a “we’re all in this together” attitude who is also willing to pitch in and answer the phone. Team member must be dependable and efficient in his or her work and must have an innovative mindset.
- Did we mention we have a fun committee?
- We promote from within, so there are opportunities for growth and advancement
Evaluations and Outcomes:
- The position will be evaluated after 90 days with quarterly reviews.
- Mainly sedentary in an office environment with the exception of event days
- May be required to lift up to thirty (30) pounds
- Flexible in working extended hours
- Drivers license and access to reliable transportation required