Grown-Up Hot Cocoa Recipe
Make your own grown-up hot cocoa.
Grown-Up Hot Cocoa
• 3 cups whole milk
• 3 tablespoons crushed cinnamon sticks
• 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
• 2 tablespoons demerara sugar
• ¼ tablespoon ground cardamom
• A pinch of kosher salt
• 4 ounces Jamaican aged rum
1. In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, bring the milk and cinnamon to a simmer, until the cinnamon becomes floral and fragrant, 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Whisk in the chocolate, sugar, cardamom, and salt. Cook, whisking frequently, until mixture is smooth and creamy and chocolate has melted.
3. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a large measuring cup, discard cinnamon.
4. Add rum to hot chocolate mixture, and stir to combine.
5. Divide among four mugs and serve.