Art Within Reach
Dispersed throughout 417-land is a buzzing art scene that is constantly evolving and growing.
DISCLAIMER: The information in this article was fact checked and accurate at press time, but 417 Magazine cannot guarantee its accuracy indefinitely.
(page 7 of 13)
Photo by Kevin O’Riley
Printmaking at the creamery
Learn printmaking techniques with the Printmaking Group at The Creamery Arts Center, hosted by Roxie Castro (right). Save your seat by calling 417-862-2787. For more classes offered by The Springfield Regional Arts Council, visit springfieldarts.org.
Paint your own pottery at Firehouse Pottery in Springfield. For all the ladies out there, Firehouse Pottery hosts a girls’ night out each month for adults 18 and older. Bring food and drink. Call 417-881-8381 or visit firehousepottery.com for more info.
Paint a Masterpiece
• Take a painting class at Local Color Art Gallery in Joplin. Visit localcolorartgalleryjoplin.com for a full class listing.
• Bring a bottle of wine, and invite your friends for a night of painting at RSVPaint in Springfield. Visit rsvpaint.com for an updated class listing, or call 417-413-4331.
• Attend Corks2Canvas in Branson, which provides all the materials you need—you just bring wine and a few painting pals. Visit corks2canvas.com or call 417-337-2905 for more info.
Learn about Art of all Sorts
• The Springfield Art Museum offers classes for painting, pottery and drawing. Visit springfieldmo.gov/art for more info.
• Take art classes at George A. Spiva Center for the Arts in Joplin. From pottery to jewelry-making, Spiva offers classes in almost any medium. The schedule changes often, so visit spivaarts.org for a list of classes.
Make a Film in 48 Hours
Test your metal at filmmaking with SATO48. Filmmakers have 48 hours to create five-minute short films. The 2014 SATO48 challenge kick-off has not been finalized but traditionally takes place the third weekend of April. Call 917-648-5677 or visit sato48.com for more info.
Blind Love by Abstract Expressions
Expiration by Brutal Brothers Films
The Big Kiss Goodnight by
Infocus Media Productions
Join Open Art Sessions
Get your art on at the weekly Art Jam hosted by LemonDrop and SquidFoo in Springfield. Each Sunday from 4–6 p.m., the gallery is open to artists of all skill levels and mediums to socialize and create. Bring your own art supplies.
Get outside, and paint with Springfield Plein Air. This group is free and open to all with meetings every Thursday, April through October. Call 417-830-9044 for more info, or check them out on Facebook.
• Photographers of all skill levels are invited to monthly meetings of the Four States Photography Enthusiasts. This informal club meets the first Tuesday each month in Webb City. Call Danny Wilson at 417-529-4864 for more info.
• Freedom Photography offers classes with walking tours, wine and photo editing tips. Visit freedom-photography.com for more info.
• Lawrence Photo and Video in Springfield has classes for DSLR cameras, exposure, composition, lighting, studio lighting and even Photoshop. Call 417-883-8300 for more info.
• Become a pottery master at Phoenix Fired Art in Joplin, where you can learn the art of throwing and firing ceramics. Call 417-437-9281 for more info or find them on Facebook.
• Take a pottery class at Springfield Pottery. Visit springfieldpottery.com to learn about upcoming classes.
Work with Glass
Take a class at Springfield Hot Glass Studio. Classes range from glass bead making to glass blowing. For more info visit springfieldhotglassstudio.com.