Create production ready visual layouts and conceptual art for the 417 family of publications. Work quickly and efficiently on multiple editorial design projects with quick turnaround times. Take direction and constructive feedback on concepts and design and implement those designs through completion.
- Support production of all publications through organizational and planning efforts, technical setup and production-focused design.
- Design editorial layouts for all publications in keeping with the brand and demographics.
- Design custom visuals that quickly and concisely communicate content.
- Take editorial photographs that are used to illustrate and enhance a story under the direction of Art Director and/or Editor.
- Execute digital art components during photo shoot and art production, including both print-to-digital considerations and online-only products.
- Prepare design ideas, in conjunction with art department team, for participation in editorial brainstorm meetings.
- Review editorial lineup to ensure editorial design and imagery is aesthetically on-brand, high-quality and meets the needs of each corresponding publication.
- Assist Where's 417 and People Pics communication and organization.
- Assist in getting pickup art and scheduling photo shoots for all publications.
- Provide retouching, color correcting and photo manipulation as needed.
Education Requirements and Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or magazine design
- 1+ year work experience (fantastic internship experience counts)
Skills and Strengths:
- Excellent editorial design skills, visual creativity, strong understanding of typography
- Ability to represent themselves and the company through the mission and core values of 417 through any interactions inside or outside of the office and online with co-workers and the public.
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite design software
- Experience in InDesign master page and paragraph styles
- Photography skills
- Intrinsically motivated to work independently yet still be a team player
- Comfortable with following direction and receiving feedback as required
- Creative thinker who has the ability to offer input in meetings and confidence to share ideas.
- Passion for editorial design, photography, publishing and audience experience
- Comfortable managing a workload of multiple projects and competing deadlines
- Oh—and last but not least, have a passion for excellence
Bonus for the Overachievers (we love you, by the way):
- Videography skills
Benefits and #417culture:
- Comprehensive health benefits for employees, disability insurance, SIMPLE IRA match, profit-sharing plan, professional development, flexible work environment, holidays and personal days
- Key culture competencies include being a self-motivated, resourceful problem-solver with a “we’re all in this together” attitude who is also willing to pitch in and answer the phone. Team member must be dependable, efficient in his or her work and have an innovative mindset.
- Did we mention we have fun and wellness committees?
- We promote from within, so there are opportunities for growth and advancement
Evaluations and Outcomes:
- The position will be evaluated after 90 days with quarterly reviews.
- Near Future: After gaining experience with each publication’s visual brands and style guide, employee will be expected to progress into designing second features, scheduling shoots and assisting at photo shoots.
- Mainly sedentary in an office environment
- May be required to lift up to thirty (30) pounds during photo shoots
- Flexible in working extended hours
THINK YOU'RE 417 MATERIAL?
If you're ready to take the next step, apply today!