Are you a self-motivated, resourceful problem-solver with a “we’re all in this together” attitude? Are you passionate about connecting 417-landers to what’s best and what’s next in our community, helping them to fully enjoy their life in 417-land? Are you looking for opportunities for growth and advancement based on your individual strengths?
If you are a dynamic designer that loves storytelling through design we’re hiring and could use someone like you as our next editorial designer.
Create visual layouts and conceptual art for the 417 family of publications with an emphasis on our bimonthly business publication, Biz 417. Work quickly and efficiently on multiple editorial design projects with quick turnaround times. Take direction and constructive feedback on concepts and design and implement those designs through completion.
- Design department stories for all publications
- Spearhead editorial design on Biz 417 and champion of publication’s InDesign templates and flatplan
- Design custom visuals that quickly and concisely communicate content
- Collaborate with editorial staff and Art Director to sketch and ideate visual concepts for upcoming content to present at bimonthly Art Meeting
- Execute digital art components during photo shoot and art production, including both print-to-digital considerations and online-only products.
- Prepare design ideas, in conjunction with art department team, for participation in editorial brainstorm meetings.
- Review editorial lineup to ensure imagery is aesthetically on-brand, high-quality and meets the needs of each corresponding publication
- Provide expert retouching, color correcting and photo manipulation
- Assist in getting pickup art and scheduling photo shoots for all publications
Education Requirements and Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or magazine design
- 1–5 years work experience (fantastic internship experience counts)
Skills and Strengths:
- Excellent design skills (infographic design required), visual creativity, strong understanding of typography
- Strong conceptual designer
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite design software
- Expert in InDesign master page and paragraph styles
- Ability to represent themselves and the company through the mission and core values of 417 through any interactions inside or outside of the office and online with co-workers and the public.
- Intrinsically motivated to work independently yet still be a team player
- Comfortable with following direction and receiving feedback as required
- Manage a workload of multiple projects and competing deadlines
- Creative thinker who is comfortable offering input and sharing ideas at creative meetings
- Oh—and last but not least, have a passion for excellence
Bonus for the Overachievers (we love you, by the way):
- Illustration skills
- Videography skills
Benefits and #417culture:
- Comprehensive health benefits for employees, disability insurance, SIMPLE IRA match, profit-sharing plan, professional development, flexible work environment, holidays and personal days
- Through our commitment to being Great Game of Business practitioners, we take ownership of our work, mistakes, actions and wins. We understand we have a stake in the company's—and our own—future.
- Key culture competencies include being a self-motivated, resourceful problem-solver with a “we’re all in this together” attitude who is also willing to pitch in and answer the phone. Team member must be dependable and efficient in his or her work and must have an innovative mindset.
- Did we mention we have fun committee?
- We promote from within, so there are opportunities for growth and advancement
Evaluations and Outcomes:
- The position will be evaluated after 90 days with quarterly reviews.
- Near Future: After gaining experience with each publication’s visual brands and style guide, employee will be expected to progress into designing second features, scheduling shoots and assisting at photo shoots.
- Future: Once employee has proven to master designing more complex features, he or she is expected to begin assisting in main features and cover designs, planning and art directing photo shoots under direction of Art Director for all publications and assisting in future photo shoot planning.
- Mainly sedentary in an office environment with the exception of photoshoot days
- May be required to lift up to thirty (30) pounds during photo shoots
- Flexible in working extended hours