Are you a self-motivated, resourceful problem-solver with a “we’re all in this together” attitude? Are you passionate about connecting 417-landers to what’s best and what’s next in our community, helping them to fully enjoy their life in 417-land? Are you looking for a substantial freelance opportunity based on your individual strengths?
If you have a passion for food with a talent for writing compelling editorial content our Food Editor freelance contributor position is for you!
The Food Editor creates compelling editorial content for the Food beat for both print and online, including creating engaging digital- or social-specific enhancements.
1. Represent yourself as the 417 Magazine Food Editor and build rapport with community members.
2. Own content creation for the Taste department in 417 Magazine and for the Food beat online from start (research and pitch ideas) to finish (write and revise copy, create and share digital components). Research, pitch and produce original content within the Food beat that is in line with the 417 reader. This includes:
• Participate in and contribute to monthly editorial pitch meetings to pitch your story ideas. Usually the first Monday of every month.
• Share intel on other topics of interest to the appropriate beat writer
• Pitching, reporting, writing and enhancing content for 8 to 10 stories per issue for print and/or blogs. Use 417 Iineups for organizing pitches and source contact information.
• Writing the corresponding weekly e-newsletter, Table Talk
• Being visible in related social media posts and creating digital enhancements such as video.
Examples of food beat content: