It’s that time of year when being outside during the sun’s peak hours requires heaps of sunscreen and a to-go iced beverage in hand. We don’t make the rules, but local businesses sure make it convenient to get yourself a delicious, silly little treat to sip during these sultry days of summer. Here are a few specials to try before the season ends.
• The Blackberry Sage Espresso Tonic from Echelon Coffee (2407 N. Glenstone Ave.): This espresso-based, blueberry forward drink with a hint of sage is cream-free, making it a less heavy option than an iced latte. The addition of topo chico makes this bubbly drink also a little hydrating.
• The Mango Matcha from Rise (105 Park Central Square): If tea is your caffeine of choice or you just want to mix things up, this beverage also combines an earthy flavor profile with a fruity one.
• The Barbie Milkshake from Hurts Donut (1231 E. Sunshine St. Ste. 100): You’ve most likely seen a handful of excellent Barbie collabs lately since the marketing for the movie has taken on a viral nature. Local gems haven’t been immune to the urge to celebrate the release either. This pink shake, which comes topped with an edible image of Barbie herself, is just one example. Heads up: it’s only available at the E. Sunshine location. 💖
• The Strawberry Limeade from Kingdom (multiple locations): Coincidentally, this tangy-sweet pink drink is also a fitting beverage to grab on your way to go see (or re-see) the Barbie movie.
• The Strawberry Mo’mint from The Coffee Ethic (124 Park Central Square): This iced drink ditches the caffeine entirely and highlights three iconic summer flavors in one. It has a base of sparkling water and gets its sweetness from strawberry simple syrup and lemon simple syrup. The mint garnish awakes your sense of smell in the most delightful way. 🍋🍓🌿
• The Honey Coconut Latte from Architect Coffee (1604 E. Republic Rd.): Each year, we look forward to Architect Coffee bringing back this best seller to their summer rotation. The addition of wildflower honey and coconut syrup meld together to create a smooth, milky-sweet flavor against the espresso.