Sweet News Around Springfield
It seems like there are some delightfully sugary things in store for Springfield this summer! Here are a few updates:
• In case you haven’t heard the good news, the Parlor Doughnuts franchise just opened a Springfield location at 109 E. Battlefield in suite A. We swang by and tried the layered confections, which we’d best describe as a cross between a European pastry and an American doughnut. Our order included the Cookies N’ Cream, Blueberry Hill and Fruit Tart, and we’d indulge in all three again in a heartbeat. Parlor Doughnuts also offers keto, gluten-free and vegan-friendly options, so there’s something for everyone. Between specialty lattes and single origins, they don’t skimp on the coffee offerings either.
• It looks like Rita's Italian Ice & Frozen Custard is getting ready to set up shop at 2100 W. Republic Rd. in Suite 112. The Pennsylvania-based chain serves up creamy custards, Italian ice made with fresh fruit, and even a blended combination of the two. A branded sign covering construction progress just went up on the door, so we will do some digging on the expected opening date and report back!
• Whipped Delight is getting so close to opening its downtown brick-and-mortar location at 211 E. Walnut, dubbed Brunch Box. They tell us that they are pretty much just waiting on their final City inspections at this point. The vegan bakery, which has previously operated on a popup basis, will serve sweet and savory concoctions Friday through Sunday, 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. Oh, and in even more good news, they’ll be sharing the space with Sweet EMOtion. We’ve been missing their creamy oat milk-based soft serve during their temporary closure and can’t wait to have a cone.
• Piñas Locas has wowed Springfield with its Mexican street food for almost a year now. In addition to their savory dishes like Tostilocos that feature tangy pickled pork rinds, they’ve already made a name for themselves with their sweet offerings with a savory twist, such as the Mangonada made with mangos and chili lime seasoning. Now, they are further delving into the dessert realm with their new Mexican ice cream and paletas truck, dubbed Michoacana. Expect ice cream and popsicles in unique flavors like mango, lime, chocolate and even cheese.
• The Wonkie Waffle is one of the newest food trucks at Farmers Market of the Ozarks, and it's dishing out sweet waffles with playful toppings like Fruity Pebbles cereal and Oreos. If you need a little something to balance your blood sugar first thing in the morning, you can opt for a savory waffle with toppings like bacon and eggs or even smoked salmon.