Cream Corn Brûlé from Gettin' Basted
Plus six other things that passed the test of our taste buds.
By the Editors
1. Sometimes one roll isn’t enough. That’s why Kuma Japanese Ramen & Sushi (3405 E. Battlefield Road, Springfield, 417-720-1126) has sushi burritos. These handheld sushi rolls on steroids are packed with your favorite toppings. We like the poke tuna with spicy mayo.
2. Springfield’s worst-kept secret is the value of the lunch buffet at Zayka Indian Cuisine (311 S. Jefferson Ave., Springfield, 417-351-4400). But if you want to try something from the main menu, we suggest the Lamb Rogan Josh. This classic dish consists of tender lamb stewed in curry with basmati rice.
3. Summertime means it’s paloma season. This sipper is made with tequila and tart-yet-refreshing grapefruit soda. Swing by Cesar’s Old Mexico (3027 E. Sunshine St., Springfield, 417-881-8252) for one made with a salt rim and lime wedge.
4. When you crave an inordinate amount of food, get the Teriyaki Box Special at Wayo Sushi Bar & Grill (2119 S. Glenstone Ave., Springfield, 417-886-0300). Choose a protein served with vegetables, miso soup, fried sweet potato, your choice of sushi roll, crab Rangoon and fruit. Good luck!
5. For home cooking, call The Red Tamale (417-986-3205). These made-from-scratch tamales come in flavors including green chile chicken and can be shipped to your door. If you want them fresh from the pot, find the Nixa-based business at farmers markets.
6. Branson’s Gettin’ Basted (2845 W. Highway 76, Branson, 417-320-6357) is known for its championship meats, but the real star is the poblano cream corn brûlé. A bowl of creamy corn and sizzling pepper is torched for an irresistible spicy-sweet combo.
7. Gushing waterfalls and serene wildlife are a great reason to visit Dogwood Canyon, but we don’t blame you if you go solely for the smoked trout cake BLT from Dogwood Canyon Mill & Grill (2038 W. State Highway 86, Lampe; 1-877-459-5687). Seared trout cakes and thick-cut bacon come on crusty French bread with a lemon-caper mayo
Explore Related Articles
What Springfield Foodies Eat
A guide to the local southwest Missouri restaurants, dishes and culinary delights that make the experts swoon. Find your new favorite...mar 2019 | Burgers, Commercial Street, Downtown Springfield, Drinks
New Restaurants in Springfield
New restaurants, menus and chef change-ups brought a lot of excitement to Springfield's dining scene. Work up an appetite and eat at one of...may 2023 | Asian, Barbecue, Coffee, Commercial Street
Best Cheap Eats in Town
We scoured local restaurants and put together this list of our very favorite cheap eats.dec 2019 | Barbecue, Beer, Branson, Burgers