1. We can’t get enough of the sushi at Haruno Sushi Bar & Grill (3044 S. Fremont Ave., Springfield, 417-887-0077), but sometimes we branch out and try the killer misoyaki black cod entrée instead. Beautiful fish is served over rice with sautéed veggies.
2. Our inner kid did a somersault when we learned that you can enjoy tableside s’mores for dessert at Woody’s Wood-Fire Pizza Bar & Oven (1831 W. Seventh St., Joplin, 417-782-9663). Sweet, sticky nostalgia.
3. We adore the Frutti di Mare at Avanzare Italian Dining (1908 S. Glenstone Ave., Springfield, 417-567-3463). Spaghetti noodles are served with shrimp, scallops, black mussels, calamari and marinara with red pepper for an ultra-indulgent and slightly spicy dinner.
4. The carnitas tacos at Maria’s Mexican Restaurant (406 South Ave., Springfield, 417-831-9339) make us wonder why we’ve been wasting time with the chicken tacos. The smoky, pulled pork is a little sweet and a little spicy and is topped with cheese and lettuce and wrapped in Maria’s famous fried taco shell.
5. Warm up with the ham and beans with cornbread from Casper’s Chili (601 W. Walnut St., Springfield, 417-866-9750). It’s not on the menu every day, so get it while it’s hot.
6. We have been loving crunching into the fried pickles from The Filling Station (900 E. Battlefield, Springfield, 417-887-5555). Salty, tangy and fried to perfection, these crunchy gems are a slam dunk.
7. The enchilada de espinaca at Cantina Laredo (4109 S. National Ave., Springfield, 417-881-7200; 1001 Branson Landing Blvd., Branson, 417-334-6062) is filled with sautéed spinach and mushrooms, and is held together with cheese and a sour cream poblano sauce.