Lead the editorial art department and ensure images, typography and design of each publication are on brand, creative, high-quality and easy for the reader to digest with high visual impact, all under the direction of the Editorial Director. Provide direction and constructive feedback to the art team on concepts, editorial design and photography and oversee execution.
- Oversee the planning, art and production of all publications
- Assume overall responsibility for developing and managing the annual editorial art budget
- Create grayboxing layouts for all cover stories in the 417 family of publications (except Biz 417). Art direct and execute those designs in keeping with the brand and demographics.
- Provide art direction to art department designers and on-site direction to photographers for all publications in keeping with the brand and demographics.
- Design department stories and second feature layouts (when not designing the cover story)
- Present editorial feature design, cover and Style page mock-ups in monthly Art Meetings.
- Drive digital art components during photo shoot and art production, including both print-to-digital considerations and online-only products.
- Prepare design ideas and print and digital content ideas for participation in editorial brainstorm meetings.
- Check flatplans for pacing and editorial/ad placement. Provide art department approval of the flatplans
- Meet with Editor and Editorial Art Coordinator to talk through editorial content and prepare for photo shoots. Approve photography shot lists for all 417 publications. Manage future shoots with editorial art coordinator’s assistance.
- Ensure quality during production for all 417 publications: Complete final page checks before proof, check art in a hard copy of the proof, complete final page checks before upload, and complete final approvals on Kodak.
- Hire, coordinate and maintain relationships with freelance designers and photographers
- Manage redesigns for all 417 publications
- Develop knowledge of local community as it relates to 417 products and design. Build relationships with key partners and industry influencers.
- Serves on the leadership team at 417 and develops, motivates and inspires their team toward excellence and success within 417 Mission and Core Values.
Education Requirements and Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or magazine design
- 5+ years work experience
Skills and Strengths:
- Excellent editorial design skills, visual creativity, strong understanding of typography
- Expert in Adobe Creative Suite design software
- Relationship driven with strong communication skills. Solid working relationship with (and respect for) sources and internal teams.
- Quickly build and maintain rapport with photoshoot subjects.
- Ability to represent themselves and the company through the mission and core values of 417 through any interactions inside or outside of the office and online with co-workers and the public.
- Creative thinker who has the ability to offer input in meetings and confidence to share ideas.
- Passion for editorial design, photography, publishing and audience experience
- Intrinsically motivated to work independently yet still be a team player
- Comfortable with following direction and receiving feedback as required
- Comfortable managing a workload of multiple projects and competing deadlines
- Oh—and last but not least, have a passion for excellence
Bonus for the Overachievers (we love you, by the way):
- Photography skills
Benefits and #417culture:
- Key culture competencies include being a self-motivated, resourceful problem-solver with a “we’re all in this together” attitude who is also willing to pitch in and answer the phone. Team member must be dependable and efficient in his or her work and must have an innovative mindset.
- Did we mention we have fun and wellness committees?
- We promote from within, so there are opportunities for growth and advancement
Evaluations and Outcomes:
- The position will be evaluated after 90 days with quarterly reviews.
- Mainly sedentary in an office environment with the exception of event days
- May be required to lift up to thirty (30) pounds
- Flexible in working extended hours
THINK YOU'RE 417 MATERIAL?
If you're ready to take the next step, apply today!