Table Talk: May 2–8
This week: Springfield sushi news, make your meal plans for Cinco de Mayo, upcoming foodie events and more in Table Talk.
by Katie Pollock Estes
May 02 2023 at 8 a.m.
If you were a fan of Mijuri and were super-bummed when they closed, take heart: a new sushi joint is moving into that same vacated restaurant space! Springfield-based Misaki Japanese Restaurant has opened a second location there. From the sushi menu, we’re most excited to try the Mylee Roll, made with shrimp tempura, crab, soft-shell crab, masago mayonnaise and yellow pickle. In addition to sushi, you can find other Japanese favorites like gyoza, tempura veggies and some grilled hibachi entrees.
If you frequent The Library Center (and if book hunting makes you super-hungry), you might be excited to hear that the library is getting a new cafe. Marshfield-based Polymath Educational Cafe is moving their business to The Library Center’s on-site restaurant space. They offer homemade quick bites like fruit salads, soups, salads, sweet treats (the cinnamon rolls look so delish) and more. Oh and if you’re in Marshfield and are bummed about the move, don’t worry: Polymath will still offer meal plans to folks in Marshfield! The soft opening is planned for mid-May.
Cinco de Mayo Fun
Cinco de Mayo is Friday night, and that means you need to get out there and enjoy some delightful margs and tasty tacos. If you need help deciding where to spend your Friday, here are some of our stories on local Mexican eats that might help you make up your mind.
• Check out our massive roundup of more than 30 great places to get oh-so-perfect tacos in Springfield.
• Read our review of Señor Julian Mexican Bar & Grill (and don’t miss their fresh homemade flour tortillas). They are also cooking up some fun for this weekend.
• We’re nuts for this Cubana torta from Tacos El Champu, the sweetly delightful fried plantains from Catrina’s Modern Mexican, the tacos al pastor from La Paloma, the always-delish sopes from Cesar’s Old Mexico, the oh-so-good shrimp tacos from I Love Tacos Taqueria and the Get Off My Prawn taco from Tinga Tacos.
• Doing Cinco de Mayo at home this year? Check out these recipes for spicy shrimp and mango tacos and fresh pico de gallo.
• Derby Delights: The Kentucky Derby is this Saturday, and Civil Kitchen is getting in on the fun. This is their sixth year offering their Kentucky Derby Tasting event. The five-course tasting menu features drink pairings with every course. And to get into the spirit of the race, there are prizes for Best Hat, Best Dressed and whoever can guess who the winning horse and their time will be. So break out that big hat, and have some fun!
• Star Wars Inspo: Greek Belly is having some fun with their delicious Greek Eats on Thursday with their May the Fourth Be With You event. Come in for aptly named dishes like Boba Fetta, Jabba the Hummus, Yoda Soda, Sarlac Pitta, Jawa Bites and more. If you’re really feeling the fandom, come in Star Wars wear.
• Meat-Free Barbecue: Head to Mother’s Brewing Company on Monday, May 8 for a vegan comfort food pop-up event with meatless eats prepared by Southern Fried Vegan. At Vegan Brews N BBQ, there will be vegan versions of fried chicken, barbecue, jambalaya, beer-cheese battered burgers and more.
• More from Mothers: Speaking of Mother’s Brewing Co., their annual Mother’s Day Festival starts this weekend too. This fest spans the next three weekends, and is packed with fun. There are more than a dozen bands providing live music, plus food trucks on hand like Almighty Sando, Tinga Tacos, Greek Belly, Lunar Lunchbox and I Love Tacos. Plus some tasty Mother’s brews of course. Bring blankets and camp chairs to throw down on the Mother’s lawn at this family-friendly event.
Explore Related Stories
Table Talk: February 21–28
This week: The Jackson Grille prepares to open, fish fry season is here, new bar food downtown and more.feb 21 2023 | Drinks, Food, Table Talk
Table Talk: February 28–March 6
This week: 4 By 4 Brewing Co.'s new location, Whiskey Fest, news bites and more.feb 28 2023 | Drinks, Food, Food Trucks, Seafood
Table Talk: March 7–13
This week: Ozarks-style bagels, keto-safe treats and plenty more news bites in Table Talk.mar 07 2023 | Drinks, Food, Seafood, Table Talk