1. When we want to go meatless and we’re super-hungry, we order the Codi Brah from Grad School (434 S. Jefferson Ave., Springfield, 417-866-8163). It’s a falafel-esque burger topped with super-creamy cheese.
2. We’d do anything for another bite of the crispy fried chicken at Osage Restaurant (at Top of the Rock, 150 Top of the Rock Rd., Ridgedale, 1-800-225-6343). It’s a-maz-ing.
3. Cantina Laredo (locations in Springfield and Branson, cantinalaredo.com) has an enchilada that is super-yummy and on the healthier side. The Enchiladas De Avocado feature avocado and artichoke with a mango slaw and yummy sautéed red cabbage.
4. For a lunchtime cocktail, we adore the Derby-rita from Derby Deli (at Brown Derby International Wine Center, 2023 S. Glenstone Ave., Springfield, 417-881-1215). It’s not your usual margarita.
5. We love the meaty boneyard wings from Coyote’s Adobe Café (1742 S. Glenstone Ave., Springfield, 417-889-7120) that come in a spicy-sweet mustard sauce.
6. The most lovely marriage of a Reuben sandwich and an eggs Benedict exists in Joplin. It’s the Reubens Cube from The Bruncheonette (424 N. Main St., Joplin, 417-781-3447), which features an English muffin buried under corned beef, gruyere cheese, poached eggs, stone ground mustard hollandaise sauce and sauerkraut.
7. There’s nothing like indulging in a chili extravaganza. Try the spaghetti three-way from Casper’s Chili (601 W. Walnut St., Springfield, 417-866-9750). It has spaghetti noodles, chili, tons of cheese and a sprinkling of onions.