1. We love the egg salad sandwich at The Brown Egg (607 E. Madison St., Suite 112, Springfield, 417-865-3223, brown-egg.com). The cool combo of hard-boiled eggs, mayo and perfect seasonings is topped with crunchy lettuce and red onion and delicious fresh tomato.
2. For a summer treat, we like to grab a Nathan’s hot dog from Galloway Ice Cream Shoppe (3521 S. Lone Pine Ave., Springfield, 417-889-3622). You can sit outside at a table in the shady yard while you enjoy a dog.
3. We love the salsa served with the Chips and Salsa appetizer at Farmers Gastropub (431 S. Jefferson Ave., Springfield, 417-864-6994). It’s super-fresh and packed with flavor—a great bar snack with a cold beer.
4. The kimchi and seafood pancake at Soo’s Korean Restaurant (3644 S. Campbell Ave., Springfield, 417-889-2220, sooskr.com) features tender shrimp, calamari and octopus that are cooked in an eggy pancake along with kimchi. It’s not spicy, but it has a zippy kimchi tang and a delicious dipping sauce.
5. One staffer adores the chili rellano at La Mision (935 N. Glenstone Ave., Springfield, 417-832-0032). It has the perfect ratio of poblano pepper, ooey-gooey cheese and tasty breading.
6. The tuna sampler at Haruno (3044 S. Fremont Ave., Springfield, 417-887-0077) is our favorite when we want fresh sushi. It’s simply five pieces of tuna nigiri, each a little bit different but all delicious.
7. The peach bellini from Table 22 (114 Main St., Branson, 417-973-0022) is perfectly fruity without being very sweet. It’s made with fresh peaches muddled with some dry sparkling wine. Delicious, and perfect for a hot summer day.