Itty Bitty News Bites
• Wintry Whip: Due to weather and some supply issues, Pineapple Whip postponed their annual Whip Solstice event. Good news, though: The rescheduled dates are this week! From Wednesday, February 1 to Sunday, February 5, you can get your favorite fruity summer treat at the Campbell Avenue location.
• Scotch Eggs, Comin’ In Hot: Dublin’s Pass is opening its newest location this Friday, February 3. It’s in the space formerly occupied by Great American Taco Co. at 2915 E. Battlefield Road. That means southeast Springfield folks will have easy access to Scotch eggs and brisket reuben sammies super-soon.
• Grab a Chip for This Dip: Do you love, love, love the house salsa at Tortilleria Perches? Oh man, so do we. And now we can get it in jars to take home. The restaurant has started to jar that tasty, tomato-y liquid gold in both hot and mild varieties.
• New Menu Alert!: Sleepy Opossum Cafe has a menu refresh that starts today. They still have the hashbrown quiches and breakfast sammies we love. Some new things we’re dying to try include the Breakky Salad (greens and veggies with a fried egg and maple-Dijon vinaigrette), a polenta-based breakfast soup, the Pepe le Bleu crepe (with sausage, hashbrown casserole, gorgonzola, fried miso polenta, egg and miso aioli with a side of greens and a baby biscuit) and more. Good morning indeed, right?
• New Drinks Alert, Too!: Be sure to pop into Culture Counter starting tomorrow to try their new drinks menu. We don’t have a ton of details yet, but we heard there will be hot teas, cocoa and lattes—perfect for this frigid Ozarks week!
• Mega Milkshakes: Black Sheep Burgers & Shakes has a new milkshake on their menu that sounds like a delight. It’s called I Love You, and it’s made with homemade frozen custard and fresh bananas before being topped with a hefty slice of homemade tiramisu.
• Save Your Seat: The Ozark Mill Restaurant at Finley Farms now takes reservations, which is great news for those of us who are big-time planners and don’t like to chance it with our dinner arrangements.
• Mardi Gras Prep: Mardi Gras is in just a few weeks (Tuesday, February 21, to be exact), so now’s the time to place an order if you want a real New Orleans–style king cake straight from the source. Express Foods is bringing king cakes up from Jo Gambino’s Bakery in a handful of flavors, including cream cheese-filled and praline.
• Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes: Skully’s Ramen is making some changes too, that start this week. For the month of February, their indoor dining area will be closed for renovations, but you can still order goodies to-go. They shared in a recent post that they are moving toward a model more focused on carry-out dining, with orders being picked up through the side window. As for future plans a little farther out, they’ll also be attending more festivals this year.