1. Few things are more satisfying on a hot day than a cold root beer float, and the one at Andy’s Frozen Custard (several 417-land locations) always hits the spot. It’s made with classic vanilla custard and Sprecher root beer.
2. If you’re craving pizza that breaks the rules, try the chicken bacon ranch pizza at Rocco’s Italian Kitchen (250 US-60, Republic; 417-732-5311). It has homemade ranch dressing, mozzarella and chicken, and we recommend adding buffalo sauce.
3. For a simple classic, try the wonton soup at Leong’s Asian Diner (1540 W Republic Road, Springfield; 417-887-7500). Light and flavorful chicken broth envelopes tender Charsiu pork wontons and scallions.
4. There’s nothing fishy about how delicious the tacos de salmon are at La Paloma Mexican Grill (3014 E Sunshine St., Springfield; 417-719-4484). Grilled salmon comes topped with juicy mango salsa and a kicky chipotle cream sauce.
5. Work up an appetite for the El Jefe at Gailey’s Breakfast Cafe (220 E. Walnut St., Springfield; 417-866-5500). This indulgent dish comes with eggs any style, chorizo, jalapeños and queso, plus a fresh topping of red onion, tomato, cilantro and avocado. It gives the classic breakfast a flavorful twist.
6. Craving a warm, belly-filling meal? Try the portobello ravioli at Bambino’s Cafe (1141 E. Delmar St., Springfield, 417-862-9999; 2810-D E. Battlefield Road, Springfield, 417-881-4442). These jumbo ravs are stuffed with portobello mushrooms and carmelized onions, and they swim in a rich marsala wine cream sauce. You’re going to need some extra bread to soak up all that sauce.
7. We’re big, bubbly boba-heads, so we’re fans of the brown sugar boba teas over at SocieTea (1653 E. Sunshine St., Springfield; 417-720-4094). We like ours floating around in a green milk tea, but the beauty of these bubbles is you can completely customize your drink to your liking.