Did you know August is National Catfish Month? In landlocked Missouri, freshwater fish is the freshest stuff you can get. And even though rainbow trout might be the first fish that comes to mind when you think of Ozarks waterways, catfish might have an even more beloved following when it comes to that singular joy of biting into a crispy bite of cornmeal-crusted goodness. Here are a few places in 417-land where you find great catfish on the menu.
• Big Easy Grill, where the fried catfish is on a menu filled with Cajun favorites, and you can even get it on a po’boy.
• Hot Cluckers, where the catfish comes in fillets or on a fish sandwich.
• FD’s Grillhouse, where you can order cornmeal-crusted and fried in a combo with fried shrimp.
• Crosstown Barbecue, where you can get a fried catfish dinner, or crispy fried catfish strips as an app.
• Dowd’s Catfish & BBQ in Lebanon, where you can order it breaded and fried, broiled with lemon pepper, blackened or served whole with the bone-in.
• Devil’s Pool Restaurant at Big Cedar Lodge, where you can eat it with a house-made tartar sauce and grilled lemon.
• If you’d rather fry up your own catfish instead of dine out, Express Foods can hook you up. The business specializes in super-super fresh seafood plucked from the ocean, but they sell catfish by the pound too.