1. You know the phrase “So hungry I could eat a horse”? Well, try eating a boat instead. Truly, the sushi boat at Sushi Village (1440 W. Republic Road, Springfield, 417-890-1016) is big enough to feed a crowd of four, and it’s a visual crowd-pleaser, too, jam-packed with various rolls and sashimi.
2. This dish is an architectural beauty that rivals its namesake. The Nachos Picchu at Cafe Cusco (234 E. Commercial St., Springfield, 417-868-8088) smothers a mountain of white corn chips in black beans, Huancaina cheese and your choice of chicken or steak, plus fresh toppings and avocado sauce.
3. For a poppable you-won’t-believe-this-is-healthy bite, try the spicy buffalo cauliflower at The Rock Food & Friends (4018 S. Lone Pine Ave., Suite B, Springfield, 417-986-0632). Buttermilk breaded cauliflower florets are deep fried and tossed in a spicy buffalo sauce with scallions and Gruyere.
4. Nothing beats a good burger, and Burger Shack (1946 W. 76 Country Blvd., Branson, 417-544-9856) knows how to serve ’em. It’s a choose-your-own-adventure menu, but we’re partial to the combo of grilled pineapple, jalapeños and pepper jack cheese.
5. Still feelin’ beefy, even after a burger? Lighten up the typical meaty offerings with Mo’ Beef’s (405 W. Walnut St., Springfield, 417-771-5111) Mo’ Beef Salad. Don’t be put off by the name; this crispy mound of romaine is topped with tomatoes, provolone, signature Italian beef and spicy giardiniera.
6. Tie & Timber (1451 E. Cherry St., Springfield, 417-429-9131) has given one of its most popular brews the barrel treatment. The Barrel-Aged Cherry Street Sour is aged in a Black Swan American Oak Barrel, and the results are delightful. Hints of the sour’s signature tart pucker with the oakiness of a Chardonnay.
7. It might not sound like much, but the shrimp cocktail at Cesar’s Old Mexico (2627 E. Sunshine St., Springfield, 417-881-8252) is a sight to behold. A towering dish of fresh shrimp comes straight to your table. Yes it’s simple, but trust us. This classic dish is so delicious and so shareable.